Monday, January 14, 2013

The Price of Reading Is Enternal Vigilance Blog #2



In the New York Times article, by Anatole Broyard “The Price of Reading Is Eternal Vigilance,” Broyard talks about how people are not good readers. Even those who believe them self’s to be good readers are not. He talks about his experience with book and how he treated book with such respect that he kind of feared them. However, his understanding and analyzation of books be gain to change when he started to think for himself.
 
The thing that I find most interesting about this article is that he talks about one experience to reading a book by Joan Didion might be better or even different if you had seen it on Broadway laying on the pavement nearly in the gutter. I would probably find it less interesting if I had seen it laying there. I like my books to be bought from a book store not off the street. Not to say it is any different but at least by buying it form the store I have a better Idea that it is the right book and that it is not missing any part and that it also is not a stolen copy of the book.
 
I also like the idea that a good reader should confront the book in their own way because it can give a different perspective on what that book might be trying to get across. I feel that to this point I have been a lot like he was when it came to reading books. I was more into the fact that books are in charge and that I do not have the right question what it might be saying. However, from now on I will analyze books differently. I will ask questions and argue what I feel is a better idea for the book even if that is not what the author wanted. I find this article to be very insight full.









No comments:

Post a Comment